Tuesday, August 20, 2002

I first heard the power goth trio Splashdown at Lilith Fair some years ago, back when they had a record deal. They don't any more, fuck you very much, music industry.

Melissa Kaplan has a voice that doesn't die. From the beginning of their set until the hour later when they were done, her voice never lost an iota of power, nor her stage presence either. My friends and I were chilled to hear them and didn't budge -- I had never heard of these people before, and I didn't even want to leave to go pee.

The only recording I've been able to find is this one, rumored to have been used on the "Charmed" TV show, and from the Lilith Fair box set:

A Charming Spell

Angels and ministers of grace, come defend who's been praying
I've found you wanting by your weight, who did you think you'd be saving?
Then suddenly, you're acting out of the need to be taking someone down

Hands on the altar for a charming spell, be sincere with persuasion
Go ask your goddess if you've served her well, she'll be climbing higher now

More sinned against than sinning, please, you're not above my suspicions
You're lamb and serpent just like me, it's more than just superstition
Then suddenly, I'm finding out that it's me you'll be taking down with you

Hands on the altar for a charming spell, be sincere with persuasion
Go ask your goddess if you've served her well, she'll be climbing higher now

Tie a knife with a ribbon, with a red, red, ribbon
Raise a hand-held mirror to the light of the moon
With a secret garden and a heart unhardened, strike a specter's bargain with a ritual brew
Book and candle is natural to those pure and simple

Don't try your magic spells on me, I know you've been crystal gazing
You say your boots are seven league, where 'er you go, I'll be waiting

Hands on the altar for a charming spell, be sincere with persuasion
Go ask your goddess if you've served her well, she'll be climbing higher now

Raise a hand-held mirror to the light of the moon
With a secret garden and a heart unhardened, strike a specter's bargain with a ritual brew
Book and candle is natural to those pure and simple
Tie a knife with a ribbon, with a red, red, ribbon
Tie a knife with a ribbon, with a red, red, ribbon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home